Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Nation of Passion

Watched Rang De Basanti again today. Alone and in dark. I remember the last time I watched it. We were in Final-Year Undergrad. Been about 4 years. It made a deeper mark on me this time. No, I don't support violent means for any end whatsoever. And this is not a film review either. What I want to pick from the movie is something else. Its passion. Or the very idea of having a passion. A passion which is dearer to you more than your life. For the revolutionaries, it was Azadi. For DJ & friends, it was ensuring that their martyr friend gets his due respects and that his culprits are punished. What hit me the most was when Aslam said "मुझे तो हमेशा लगता था हम किसी चीज़ के लिए लड़ जाएँ, ऐसा कोई जज्बा है ही नहीं हमारे अन्दर "

Why dont 'we' have a passion for something ? A passion which would bring a welcome change to our nation, our people, our next generation. Wars are not just fought on borders. They are also fought inside our societies, our cultures, our own minds and mindsets. War against corruption, war against inequality and injustice, war against tyranny to environment, are wars we all have to fight. We all are soldiers in these wars. Will we run back or nail the fight to the finish ? hmm..depends on how much passion we harbor. The way life is going right now, I for one, seem to be sitting on the fence :-(



क्यों सो रहे हैं लोग मेरे
देश के बेसुध हुए
क्यों आज भी मैं हूँ यहाँ
इन आसुओं को पीते हुए

ऐ ज़िन्दगी तू तो मेरे
अहले वतन काबिल नहीं
अब यही ख्वाहिश है मेरी
मौत से कुछ तो मिले

जी रहा हूँ दर-ब-दर
एक गैर से आसमान तले
चल ज़िन्दगी, चल ज़िन्दगी
हम भी कुछ करने चलें
और जब रुखसत करें
तीन रंग का कफ़न मिले


Why are people of my nation
sleeping so aloof
Why am I still here
crying by myself

O life ! you don't seem to
be worthy of my country
I wish my death
can be of some use.

Living door-to-door
under an unfamiliar sky
O life ! O life !
lets go do something
To depart this world
in a tri-colored shroud.

4 comments:

rs said...

Hi Aman, happened to read your blog post today so I thought I'd comment as well..
Well said, although I think it is a vicious circle, we dont let ourselves be stimulated by anything enough to get completely, passionately immersed into it, and as a result anything we do is accompanied with a residual frustration and dissatisfaction that we dont enjoy it thoroughly...its this lack of control of consciousness that reflects at an individual level or as a reflection of a nation's mindset.

Rohit said...

The way everything is going, it looks like Microsoft is sitting on the fence.

Wisecracks apart, I think people strive for a chance to achieve stability in their lives. When they achieve it (though a combination of passiveness and selective aggressiveness), they do not want things to change; unless of course they are jolted out of their complacency by something. In which case they alter the percentage of passiveness and aggressiveness in their lives again.

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Anonymous said...

quite interesting post. I would love to follow you on twitter.